Wednesday, June 30, 2004
Maybe there is hope
A response to Fahrenheit 9/11:
"We just came back from the ARCLIGHT in Hollywood and the reception was fantastic! I even got my republican father a ticket to see the movie in Orange County. Needless to say after he saw the movie he now plans to vote against the Bush. He has voted Republican since Nixon."--R.S.This is one of the many messages quoted on the Michael Moore website about the reception to Fahrenheit 9/11 around the United States. It gives me great hope that they might oust Bush, and if that's possible, what about getting rid of Howard too? If only the Australian election had to be after November, I'd feel more optomistic.
Another one, just for some more of that good feeling:
"When I learned that Fahrenheit 9/11 would be screened in my small hometown of Mobile, AL I was surprised, but happy. I decided that I'd catch the 3:45 matinee, both because I'm broke and wanted to save some cash, but also because I thought I could beat whatever crowds there might be. My mom and I arrived at the theater about 15 minutes before the previews started, and I was flummoxed to find a nearly-full theater. Granted, it's a small theater, but it's a small town, too. There were probably around 150 people there--an amazing crowd considering that the film was being shown simultaneously on two screens in the same small multiplex. And this, of course, for a matinee on a Friday afternoon. I can't even imagine what the scene was like tonight. And once we were settled in, people kept coming, and coming, and coming. We gave up the seat between us. Then we moved further in. The people kept coming, and by the time the previews were over, only the neckache seats were free. This being south Alabama, where even the liberals are conservative, there were a lot of laughs but no cheering or clapping during the movie -- that's about par for any movie seen here. But I heard something I have NEVER heard at a movie in Mobile before, including all the "Lord of the Rings" movies -- applause. Giant, cheerful applause as the credits began to roll for a film that I was just SURE I'd have the theater to myself for."--M.T.I'm looking forward to seeing it.

