Wednesday, July 28, 2004
Canberra
While I'm in this links-away mode, Australia Blog has a post on Canberra. I am the first to admit that Canberra has some flaws and one of those is a sense of sterility: being too planned means it lacks the little alleys of Melbourne and Sydney with their groups of cafes and big city atmosphere, for instance. And it does feel a little homogeneous - lots of the white middle class and only limited groups of anyone else.
But, it also has a lot going for it, as Chris of Australia Blog discovered. I'd like to add to his post that some friends of mine visiting from Victoria recently paid a visit to the National Museum (free). They were suitably impressed and said they would like a return visit, just to spend more time there. Personally I like all the parks and good schools and other family friendly aspects, but that's where I'm at in life right now I guess.

