Mountain View Commentary
Wednesday, July 07, 2004
 
Latham and the Liverpool City Council

Marco of Canblog says in this post that "If Mark Latham can do for Australia what he did for the City of Liverpool, we could be in for great times ahead." And Marco was living in Liverpool at the time.

This is in contrast to the letter signed by several other previous mayors of Liverpool who claim he was a nightmare. Naturally enough Latham defends his record, and Kerison hopes that "some journo will actually do some work and present the figures so we can read for ourselves how well he did." I hope so too. Chris told me that he read somewhere in the SMH this week that a former Liberal councilor, one who was there at the same time as Latham, has refuted the letter. That a liberal member would be arguing in favour of Latham's record is encouraging, to say the least, but I haven't been able to find the article. If anyone has the details, please let me know.
Comments:
The Liberal councillor who has refuted the letter could be the guy who appeared on the Sunday programme. I can't remember his name, but he was General Manager of Liverpool City Council under Latham, and is now the boss of Thrifty Car Rentals and a Liberal councillor on one of the Eastern Suburbs councils. Maybe Woollahra. Perhaps Sunday has transcripts available?
 
Thanks Marco, I'll look into it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger